Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Real Men Don't Eat Quiche





Real men don't eat quiche you ask??? Well just don't say that to my friend Peter who shared with me a story about his Aunt Jenny and "the best spinach quiche in the world!" He would religiously go to visit her every summer in North Carolina. So he sent me an email telling me all about her and his memories ever summer there and wanted to see if I could help him re-create it!

So my mission was kinda tough... I don't really know what Aunt Jenny's recipe was as she passed on a few years back and Peter hasn't had it since... and there's probably about a million and one different quiche recipes out there, but I did a ton of trial and error, I might add and I think Peter was pretty thrilled with the end result and said it was pretty darn close!

This recipe for Spinach Quiche is actually pretty simple and is super delicious! You can substitute the Spinach for just about any other vegetable that you might really like also.. for example, string beans, asparagus, artichokes, or even mushrooms.... ham, bacon or panchetta that's been fried is great inside of it too!

It's perfect to make for a fantastic light lunch or even for dinner along side a soup and small salad.

I hope you try it... and Peter, I hope I made Aunt Jenny proud! I can see why he remembered all those summers at her house... I guess that old adage wasn't so true after all!

Spinach Quiche
  • 1 package unbaked pie crust shell
  • 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/3 cup half and half (or milk)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar (gruyere works well, too)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
  • 4 to 6 green onions, thinly sliced (1/2 cup finely diced red or white onion or shallots work as well)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 425°. Bake Pie Crust according to the package.

Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in half and half and eggs. Mix in remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is set, about 25 minutes. If the edges of the pie begin to brown, remove from the oven and cover just the edges with some aluminum foil and continue baking. Cool 10 minutes before serving.


Keep sending me your stories and memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment