Thursday, September 9, 2010

A pushover for a Popover.

Popovers... what's not to love.  Light fluffy crisp dough that's got to be just perfect.  Sometimes they'll pop and sometimes they won't... but when you get them just right... ahhh... I can't say that I like something more than a good popover.  I'd say I'm a pushover for a popover... if that's possible. 

Oh and did I mention how super easy they are to make... and super impressive! Yeah... good stuff. 

Popovers

2 Eggs
3/4 Cup Milk
3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour (sifted)
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 tbs. melted butter

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. 

It's important that your eggs and milk are both at room temperature... don't ask me why, but this is the recipe that I've always used and it's always come out perfectly this way... so I've learned not to question it! :) 
Alright, so lightly beat in your eggs and then start whisking in 1/4 of your milk... then whisk in the rest of your dry ingredients and then follow with the rest of the milk and butter.  You want to make sure there are no lumps and it's a smooth batter... 
Now... walk away... go grab a magazine, turn on the t.v... go for a nice long walk.  Come back in at least 45 minutes.  You want your dough to be light and fluffy and not dense and doughy... this helps all the ingredients absorb. 

Butter your tin pan... Pour your batter into the tins... I've never used muffin tins, although I am sure they would work just fine... I use my popover tins that I bought from William Sonoma... aka the overpriced "gourmet" store.  (yes, yes, there are some good finds there!) 
So pour them in just about 1/2 way in to the tin. 

Put in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a nice golden brown.

About 4  or 5 minutes before they are set to be done- make sure you go in there with a skewer and prick the popover all around a few times... this will help them not explode. 
Trust me... that's a mess! 

Remove from the oven and serve immediately... raspberry jam is my favorite with these! 

I'm a pushover for a popover what can I say?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment