Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Italian Wedding Soup...a'la Michelle's Wedding

Last night I had a massive craving for one of my favorite soups... so much so that I wanted it to be the best soup I've ever made... so, I started pilfering through my cookbooks and looking for a recipe for the perfect Italian Wedding Soup... unable to find the right book, I started searching on the internet high and low... and then I came across this incredible article about my beloved "Italian Wedding Soup" and couldn't believe what I was reading. 

Like most people, when I heard about Italian Wedding Soup I automatically thought that it was a dish or soup that was served at Italian weddings... and I'd also think ooohhh, how sweet, they eat a little soup together as husband and wife.  Warms my soul.   Well my friends, I couldn't have been more WRONG!  This soup actually has nothing to do with an Italian wedding, nor is it ever served at one traditionally... In Italy this soup is called... minestra maritata meaning, "soup marriage" or in our english translation, wedding soup.  To say two things go well together  in Italian, you'd say si sposono bene or "they're well married..." or more to the south, they're maritati... or "married'  So with this delicious wedding soup with meat & greens in a broth you'd say they are maritata.. or perfectly married... no wedding involved, but a yummy belly FOR SURE! 

So here is a recipe that is sure to warm your soul and the ingredients are perfectly married to each other. 

**side note** Italian wedding soup is traditionally made with escarole or chicory... my family tends to think that it's too bitter and maybe a little hard to find in some parts so I use fresh spinach.  It's a little lighter in terms of taste and doesn't make it as "hearty" but by all means, please use it in there if you like it!  


Italian Wedding Soup a'la Michelle's Wedding


Meatballs:


1/2 small onion, grated
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 large egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
2 slice fresh white bread torn into small pieces


1/4 cup milk

1/2 cup grated asiago or parmegiano cheese
1 lb ground beef 
3/4 lb ground pork-  I actually used Sweet Italian Sausage and cut it out of the casing... the fennel in it added amazing flavor. 
Freshly ground black pepper & salt to taste




Soup:
2 large boxes chicken stock
1 bag fresh spinach chopped

1/2 box Orzo pasta 

2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish

Salt and freshly ground black pepper


Directions

To make the meatballs- add the first 8 ingredients in a large bowl together and allow the bread to absorb some of the milk... let sit for a minute or two- add meats and combine well.  Place back in the refrigerator and let sit for 10 minutes to get cold again to allow you to easily roll into small meatballs... remember these meatballs are going into a soup and you want a small "bite" of meat, not some huge meatball... so roll them into about 1 inch in diameter balls. 
To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil n a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and spinach allow to simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.  Then add the Orzo pasta and simmer on a low boil for about 15 to 20 more minutes.  
At the very end, sprinkle a little more cheese on top... it's truly a marriage made in my tummy!  Yours too!  With winter and cold weather coming up... this is the perfect soup! 
Molto bene!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment