Sunday, February 21, 2010

Ni Hao Wontons!

I think in a past life I must have been Chinese because I tell ya, I can’t eat enough Chinese food.  I love it all. Mu Shu Chicken, Sezchuan Eggplant, Fried Rice, Chow Mein, Eggrolls and one of my absolute favs, Wontons.  I love them in soup and I especially love them crispy.  This is a fairly simple recipe for Wontons and although most savory ones are filled with pork, I happen to use ground chicken and they turn out just as good!  Give them a try, it’s not nearly as hard as you think to make those little bows.

Ni Hao Wontons

½ pound ground chicken, pork or turkey (whichever one you prefer)
3 scallions finely sliced
2 teaspoons finely diced fresh ginger
1 ½  teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon chili oil
2 tablepoons light soy sauce
½ teaspoon garlic powder

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
(this mixture can sit for a few minutes to allow flavors to settle in a bit)



Remove wonton wrappers from package.


Place a teaspoon of the meat mixture  into the center of the wonton skin. Brush a small amount of water or egg white around the edge of the wonton.


Fold up to make a triangle shape.


Bring both ends together, using your finger to press up the middle of the triangle to help it bend a little bit.  Dab a bit of egg white on the end to help it stick together.


Repeat this process until you finish all the mixture and or skins.


In a medium size saucepan or wok if you have one, drop into oil and fry for about 5-7 minutes turning over a few times to make sure both sides are golden brown.


Remove from oil and allow excess oil to drain on a paper towel.

Serve with a dipping sauce… Sweet & Sour Sauce or this easy soy dipping sauce.

3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
½ teaspoon Sesame Oil
Dash of Chili Oil
1 Scallion or 1 Teaspoon Chopped Cilantro


**sidenote**
Look for Ginger that's fresh, that has luster to it and that the skin is not dull or brown.  Remove the outer skin before using it either with a knife or a peeler. 
If you don't use it often, you can put the rest of your ginger into a ziplock and place it in the freezer for up to a month.  

 I asked for a wok this year for my birthday but no one listened…ha ha ha!  If anyone knows of a great wok that’s worth the purchase…  please feel free to send me an e mail with the link to michelle@foodfromthehearttv.com Thanks everyone!
In addition… Ni Hao is the extent of my command of the Chinese language and you have my children’s show Ni Hao Kai Lan to thank for that! I can also say Grandpa in Chinese too… but that’s a whole ‘nother blog entry! For now, enjoy the wontons! 

2 comments:

  1. These are just as good steamed....healthier and less mess! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We stay in Hartswater. Dont get wontons here. Never see or hear of this. But it looks delicious. Carin

    ReplyDelete