Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Succotash Chowder

Not to embarrass myself too much, but just about the only thing I knew about Succotash was that Daffy Duck would always say... 
"ssssufferin' sssucccotassshh!!!" 
Never having made Succotash... let alone Succotash Chowder before, I had a friend that recently asked me for a recipe it.  Not wanting to let her down (I never want to let any of you down!) I went on the hunt for the best Succotash recipe.  I wanted to learn about it, where it came from, what it's origins are, and well taste it!  
So here's what I found out... and here's a recipe from another family friend that has this tried and true and says it comes from "The New Good Housekeeping Cookbook!" I've adapted it a little bit.. but I think between the two of us, this is a soothing, comforting dish that will soon be a family favorite! 
Apparently in the days of the Great Depression, Succotash had it's hey day!  It's primarily made from Corn & Lima Beans, two relatively inexpensive ingredients and was traditionally made for Thanksgiving celebrations in the North East.  
I gotta say, I'm loving Succotash now and I can't wait to start making it this winter for my family!  So warm & filling and so healthy! Who knew? 

Succotash Chowder 
6 Tbs Butter
2 Celery stalks, minced
1 Medium onion, minced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup all -purpose flour
3 cups of water or chicken broth/stock
1 8 oz can chopped tomatoes
1 16 oz. can kernel corn or creamed corn
1 16 oz. can lima bean
2 potatoes small dice 
2 cups half and half

Fresh thyme chopped for garnish. 

In a 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepot over medium heat, melt butter... add celery, onion & green pepper (the trinity) and cook until the veggies are translucent and tender.  Stir occasionally.  Stir in flour until blended.  Gradually stir in chicken broth and potatoes... cook, stirring frequently until mixture is thickened.  About 10-15 minutes.  
Add tomatoes, liquid and all into soup mixture and add all remaining ingredients.  Cook for another 10-15 minutes.  

Top with some freshly chopped thyme. 

**sidenote** if you would like to add some smoked ham- add at the last minute while you're saute-ing your onions, peppers & celery.  

No comments:

Post a Comment